You, like most people, probably believe that “only other people get robbed” or “it won’t happen to me.” No matter where you live, your income or your lifestyle; robbery and home invasions are a fact of life. In 2008 a home was broken into every 8 seconds. This doesn’t mean that you’re defenseless; just that you need to protect yourself using home safety strategies. 90% of police officials believe alarms deter burglary attempts. Having a home security system isn’t enough, make sure you follow these security tips to ensure you and your family are safe.
Use the following tips, along with a monitored home alarm system to protect your home and family.
- Install and use a home alarm system. Be sure to post security decals in plain sight. They are a great deterrent!
- Lock your doors and windows. This seems common sense, but more often that not burglars simply walk in through an unlocked door.
- Don’t place valuables in plain view from windows. This increases the temptation for thieves to smash and grab.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed away from windows.
- Use motion activated lights outside, especially around the front door.
- Post ‘Beware of Dog’ signs.
- Put interior lights on timers if you will be away for more than a few hours at night to make it look like someone is home.
- If you will be away for more than a couple of days have a neighbor bring in mail and take the trash can in and out so that it looks like your normal routine is being maintained.
- Don’t put your family name on the front of the house, or the mail box. This makes it easier for a thief to get your home phone number and call to see when you’re gone.
- Keep all exterior storage, gates, and tools locked up.